What monetary amount should I agree to on a slip and fall accident?

I fell on my knee when I slipped on a mopped floor at a mall cafe court. There was no visible cone. My knee instantlly swelled up and bruised. I went to my doctor and she noted the contusion on my knee and ordered xrays to make sure that nothing was fractured and gave me a prescription for pain pills. I was in pain for at least 2 weeks. This happened 1 year ago and I am finally being contacted for compensation. They have offered me $200 for medical expenses, pain, and for the food I dropped when I fell. I need to know if this amount seems fair and if not, what should I agree to?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Personal Injury, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Consultations with attorneys in personal injury actions are usually free, as the fee for the attorney is contingent upon the money the the lawsuit brings in.  Take advantage of this and go and see an attorney.  If they think that you have a case they will let you know.  It does not seem like the fall caused any long lasting injury but all the facts - such as lost time from work, if any, etc., - need to be on the table and asked by a lawyer who knows that answers in California.  See attorneypages.com for starters.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.