What legal standings do I have regarding my mother’s property?

For the last 3 years I have lived on property in my mother’s name with a verbal agreement to pay certain bills for the use of her property. I pay the school and land tax associated with the 2 acres I live on, as well as a cell phone for my mother and a monthly trash service. I paid for a septic to be designed and built, driveway, wells drilled (now share a well due to well unstability), 2 acres of land surveyed for the modular home and land maintainace. About 6 months ago a certified letter was mailed stating that I had 6 months to vacate the property.I have just now recieved a certified letter stating the property would be gated and locked and the shared water would be turned off to the property and I would be removed as a trespasser. What can I do in this situation? Is it legal for her to deny me and my kids access to our home and to cut off our water supply?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written so long as your mother owns the property you occupy and are living on as a tenant, she has the legal right to terminate your tenancy by way of the certified letter that you have written about.

Your mother cannot unilaterally cut off the water for the premises legally. I suggest that you and your mother have a face to face meeting about the rental issue to try and rectify any and all issues that you may have as to each other.

If you cannot resolve the issues you have with her, you seemingly have a situation where your lease has come to an end. You may wish to consult with a landlord tenant attorney further regarding the matter you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.