What legal rights do i have if 1 tickets were not given to me at time of arrest and officer did not have me sign them?

I was pulled over for a rear tail light out. I was initially arrested for no valid ID and was told bond would be 150. After put in police car, was informed that car would be towed and that he was doing an inventory of vehicle. The vehicle was not a hazard. It was not in the road, blocking a driveway, etc. So I didn’t understand the need for the impound of the vehicle on a minor traffic violation. Also, the vehicle was not mine. A friend of my boyfriend had lent us his car. Subsequently the officer stated he found meth in car middle console. Not going into that charge. I was not given my tickets 1 warning tail light, 2 traffic no valid ID no insurance until I was released from jail 3 days later. The officer never had me sign the tickets. On the ticket for no valid id, the bond stated,

Asked on March 18, 2018 under General Practice, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

There is no legal requirement that tickets be given to you at the time of your arrest, and giving them to you later does not invalidate them. Similarly, that you did not sign them in no way invalidates them: if it did, not one would ever get a ticket, since everyone would refuse to sign. The defendant cannot escape a ticket by not signing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.