What legal recourse do I have from fraudulently written checks from 7 years ago?

The checks were written off of a closed account and the store that they were written to did not check the person’s ID or run the checks through Telechex or Chexsystems. No one tried to reach us regarding it until this year when my employer was given garnishment papers. I don’t know who took them for sure, but I do have a couple of ideas.

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have just found out tha there is a judgment against you for fraudulently written checks from a closed account that you have, you need to consult with an attorney that practices in the area of litigation to see what can be done to set aside the judgment against you which presumably was a default judgment as well as bringing an action against the person or person who improperly wrote such checks.

If you cannot get the judgment against you set aside you ultimately will have to pay off the judgment creditor if you can.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.