What legal actions in divorce court can I take if my spouse cheated on me with a minor?

My husband and I were married for 2 years; we have a child together. I discovered he was having an affair with a minor. I ended the relationship and am about to file for divorce. I have proof that he was with this child, and that it started when she was 14 years old. I went to the mother of the girl, and she said she was going to handle it by calling the cops if he came around again. I want to provide all of this in our divorce process, showing his infidelity and his illegal relationship with the minor. What can I do?

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


Jeffery Haupt / Law Office of Jeffery M. Haupt

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are using it for purposes of showing his infidelity, it really won't matter in terms of getting the divorce granted.  Indiana is a no fault state, which means that you do not have to have any specific reason for getting a divorce other than the relationship has suffered an irretrivable breakdown.  In my experience a court has never asked what caused the breakdown, but that just one exists. 

If you are looking to try to bring this up for purposes of establishing that parenting time should be suspended or supervised, then I would strongly suggest you consult a divorce lawyer as the accusations that you are making are rather harsh and if true can result in some serious negative consequences for your husband (both in terms of criminal issues and parenting time with his child). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.