What legal actions can be taken if a life insurance policy is surrendered by the parent (policyholder) when the policy was bought for the child?

They were unaware the parent surrendered the policy and they did so after the child turned 18.

Asked on August 28, 2013 under Insurance Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Assuming the parent was the one payong for the insurance policy of the minor, then the parent is entitled to do whatever he or she wishes to do with the policy. Given the broad nature of the question submitted, I suggest that you consult with an attorney practicing within the area of insurance law. one can be found via attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.