What legal action can I take against a neighbor who I feel is severely harassing me?

Asked on March 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It depends what you mean by "harrasing":

If the neighbor is trespassing on or damaging your property, you can stop them from doing so--contact the police, and/or sue them for compensation and for an order barring them from doing this.

If the neighbor is threatening you, you could get a protective order.

If the neigbor is creating a legally cognizale nuisance--foul smells from a compost heap; playing loud music at inappropriate times, etc.--you may be able to sue and may also be able to report the neigbor to the police for violating various municipal ordinances.

If the neighbor is merely unpleasant to you and says nasty things sometimes, then there is no legal recourse; the law does not make people get along or respect each other.

If you feel the situation is bad enough, consult with an attorney who can evalute it in its details and recommend some course of action.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.