What legal action can I take if someone intentionally falsified a truck title?

A private owner advertised the truck with 74,769 miles. The odometer says 74,840 and that is what he wrote in the blanks. However, when I got home and pulled out the title, it says the truck had 165,100 miles when the truck was last titled. Am I up the creek or can I get my money back?

Asked on June 3, 2012 under General Practice, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Fraud is the knowing (which includes when someone reasonably should have known) misrepresentation (or lie) about a material (or important) fact, made to induce (or convince) someone else to enter into a transaction or pay money. Lying about mileage, when there is reason to think the owner either knew or should have known, of the correct mileage, is fraud. Fraud can provide grounds to either rescind the tranaction (e.g. give truck back, get money back) or to sue for monetary compensation, and it often provides grounds to even recover additional compensation, beyond the actual extent of damages  or loss you experienced. From what you write, it would be worthwhile to consult with an attorney about possibly bringing a lawsuit. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.