What legal action can I take if I was burning a certain brand of candle and randomly the entire candle burst into flames causing damage and injury?

I was burning a glade candle in my bathroom on a glass shelf, when all of the sudden the entire candle burst into flames causeing my wall to catch on fire. While trying to put out the fire I had hot wax explode all over one side of my face, my chest my arms causeing very painful burns.

Asked on March 3, 2012 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This sounds as it would be a product liability suit; when a product is used properly, but due to some defect in design, manufacture, or the instructions provided for its use, causes injury and/or property damage, the manufacturer can be liable. You could potentially sue for unreimbursed medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and the cost to repair your wall. You should consult with a personal injury attorney about this situation; the lawyer can evaluate what the suit might be worth, what it might cost to pursue it, and how strong it is; if you decide it's worthwhile going ahead, the lawyer can then take legal action on your behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.