What kind of signage do I need to post on a business in order to film inside without collecting written consent forms from each individual customer?

I work as the videographer for a retail outlet with an attached training center. At the entrance of the retail space, we have two signs that say

Asked on September 22, 2017 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, using video or filmed footage for economic benefit (e.g. for marketing, such as on social media or to demonstrate a produce) is very different than security camera filming. The latter requires nothing more than notice that there are cameras, so people entering know that they may be filmed; however, you cannot use another person's image for your own commercial benefit without their specific consent to that (every person controls the commercial or economic use of their own image), which to protect you, should be in writing: therefore, if you are filing for commercial, marketing, etc. purposes, you would need to have any customers, etc. who might be captured on film or video to sign a waiver allowing you to do this (and you might need to offer them something, even just a coupon or  discount, to get them to sign).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.