What kind of lawyer handles defamation of character lawsuits?

My adoptive mother has made repeated false allegations of child abuse towards me in regards to my 2 children from my previous marriage who reside with her but whom I share custody with. The first case was closed – so then she made another – and then while awaiting that one – she made another about my children whom I have with my current wife. I’ve had to go to counseling to cope with the stress – there is serious strain in my marriage my wife even seems to have gone into depression – my children are suffering all the way around both from my previous marriage and current marriage – subjected to unnecessary questioning, stress, etc

Asked on November 29, 2015 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Personal injury attorneys--the same ones who handle slip-and-fall and car accident cases--also handle defamation cases. d upon what you write, it would be well worth your while to consult with such a lawyer about the strenght of the case, what it might be worth, the cost to pursue it, etc. Such lawyers often offer a free initial consultation to evaluate a case you can inquire into this before making the appointment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.