What kind of damages can I get for my landlord ignoring raw sewage accumulating under our trailer for 4 months?

My landlord has known since we moved in that the sewage has not been hooked up and raw sewage has collected for four months under our trailer. Now code enforcement is involved but the smell is still bad and it’s not properly fixed. Can we sue him?

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Initially, you could potentiall collect monetary damages if the raw sewagw caused you to become ill and necessitating medical care. You would be entitled to damages for your discomfort, annoyance, and pain and suffering. However, you must have suffered and be able to prove damages. If you didn't have to go to  a doctor or miss school, work, or proveable recreationall activities,  your damages won't be sufficient to warrant the costs of  a civil lawsuit. The next  question is  whether your landlord is insured. If he landlor is insured and seeparate  from liability or bodily injury coveage, he or she may havee medical coveerage if you had to go to the family doctor or  purchase prescription medications. You may want to explore breaking the rental lease and moving.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.