What kind of custody is best?

Me and my ex both signed papers and they are ridiculous. We are supposed to meet today to redo them. What is the best kind of custody for the both of us? Right now she is the residential and legal custodian. Also, my son was supposed to have my last name but when he was born they told me the only way he could have medical insurance through her father was if he took on her father’s last name. My job does not offer medical insurance so I said yes. I later found out that she lied to me. Is there anything I can do? How do I get my ex to give my son my last name? I pay $600 a month to a child that doesn’t carry my last name.

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Family Law, Ohio


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.