What kind of charges or punishment am I looking at for possession of paraphernaliaand failure to give a passenger’s name?

Will this affect my insurance at allI got pulled over by the cops for my passenger not having a seat belt on. Everything was going normal until the cop ask the passenger to step out of the car and he runs for an unknown reason. The officer calls backup and they do not find my passenger, so he gets away. The cops search my car and find a grinder with paraphernalia in it. I get a ticket for possession of paraphernalia $470 and a court date.

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Sounds like you have a lot more to worry about than your insurance.  I would consult with an attorney in your area as to the ticket and the possession issue.  You can face a hefty fine and prison time if convicted. But if you have someone on your side who knows the system you could get the charges reduced and the matter conditionally discharged. 

As for you insurance, it was not like you were arrested for DUI or DWI which would surely result in a suspended license and cancellation of your insurance.  I doubt that it will result in that here if you get the help that you need.  But I would check by reading your policy and seeing if it addresses the issue at all.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.