What kind of agreement do I need to get paid on a ongoing basis for introducing a real esate broker to a cash buyer?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It can be a very simple agreement simply indicating that if the broker sells a home to a buyer you introduce him/her to, the broker will pay you whatever the amount is--the whole thing can be as short as 1 - 3 paragraphs, stated in plain english. Simply figure out what the agreement is--exactly--and then spell it out--exactly; make sure you also spell out when you will be paid and how (e.g. by money order; by check; etc.); what happens if the buyer ends up not going through with the sale; and whether you are entitled to any attorneys fees or other costs if you need to take legal action against the broker to enforce it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.