What is the timeframe a landlord is required to bring a house up to code after failing an inspection by the city?

I filed a request for repairs, as the A/C is not up to code, wiring is not up to code for the year the house was built, inadequate ventilation, flaking lead paint, no guard rail around the decks and worn stairs. Later, 1 of the stairs broke, resulting in worse problems with my ankle, then after the inspection, another one broke on me, now the only way to fix my ankle is to fuse the joints permanently. It has been 2 weeks since the inspection and 2 months since my letter to them. Is this gross negligence and are there possible criminal charges? I already have grounds for disability discrimination, witnessed by SRS.

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Typically if a landlord is cited by a governmental entity for having an unsafe rental, the citation sets forth the time period where the violations must be corrected.

Whether the matter you have written about is gross negligence or subject to a criminal investigation is beyond the scope of my ability to give an opinion for since I do not have all the facts for your matter.

I suggest that if you want to know the status of the time to complete the repairs by the landlord that you contact the public entity that you reported to about the poor condition of the rental to see what is going on in getting the repairs completed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.