What is the time period in Alaska that you have to dispute a real estate transaction that seller did not disclose a dump closure on property? years?

We purchased a large remote property in Alaska that borders native land that when resurveyed the natives claimed that some of the homes and buildings on our deed were now on their land including a bone yard, however seller that we purchased the property never disclosed the dump closure filed in the state to us when we purchased and we want to know how many years do we have to do file a suit against them for not disclosing a major issue? We just found out that they purchased the parcel in subject from the natives so there wasn’t an eyebrow raised. Is there a time limit on disclosure law?

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Not that simple.  There are a number of factors -- did you have a survey or search done of the land prior to purchase? Did you inspect the property yourself? Did you research it yourself? Did you simply rely on verbal comments by a seller? Was this reduced to a writing that said a dump closure was not there?

Has this impacted the value of the land? What are your damages?
There are statutes of limitations but different ones may apply depending on the creativity of your lawyer.  Try www.attorneypages.com and check his or her record at the Alaska State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.