What is the time frame in which you can report trespassing and vandalism to the police?

Without our permission, neighbor’s contractor came onto our yard to do work on shared property fence. While replacing posts, they busted our sprinkler pipe and dug huge holes in our yard then filled them with cement, taking away a chunk of our lawn. They also broke most of the boards on our side then took the rails and didn’t put them back or replace them. We wrote a letter certified return receipt to the owner. He spoke to his foreman and general manager who claimed they got our authorization and all the of damages were already there. This happened in February. Can we still file a report?

Asked on July 23, 2010 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should certainly try.  If they allow you to file it then great and if not then at least you tried.  Take names and numbers what ever happens.

But what you need to do is report the damage to your insurance company, get estimates for repair and consult with an attorney about suing the General Contractor.  You may have to sue your neighbor as well.  That is your choice but it is a good idea to have all the parties available in the suit.  He was their agent and they should be an additional insured under his policy.  Do you have any "before" pictures of your yard from say parties or just candid shots?  They would be helpful.  Also take pictures of the damage.  You will need them.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.