What is the Statute of Limitations concerning failure to obey a court order (contempt of court) during a divorce in California?

My then wife was ordered by the court 3 times to get my son (17 at the time) in to a counselor (before he turned 18) to find out why he suddenly refused to have any contact, or even speak to me (his father). She willfully failed to do so and was scolded by the judge and was forced to pick a counselor on the spot. She did, but when they went, she demanded a referral away from me for “confidentiality” reasons. My son and I never received counseling together, and he still wont speak to me after 2 1/2 years. Doesn’t this amount to contempt, and is it too late for anything to be done?

Asked on June 27, 2009 under Family Law, California


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can try to go back into court for your wife's contempt of a court order. But I don't know if it will do any good since the court ordered her to find a counselor before your son turned 18. Now that he is over 18, I'm not sure the court would do anything. Nor do I think that would help. Your son is an adult and he needs to decide for himself if he wants to have a relationship and communication with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.