What is the statute of limitation for auto accident if the injured person lives in a foreign country?

I was injured and my car totaled. I work in Japan for the Department of Defense. Is there an extension? The accident happened when I was home visiting.

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Accident Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Personal injury lawsuits have a two year statute of limitations.  The only exception is when the person later discovers they were injured (which normally doesn't apply to car accidents)--in which case an action can be brought up to a year after dicovery of the latent injury.


There are no special rules or extensions for people living overseas.

Best of luck and thanks for your service.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.