What is the statute of limitations for billing a patient for a dental procedure?

I just started work for a dental office who had fallen behind with their billing, and as part of my responsibilities I have been sending statements to patients with past due balances, some going back about 4 years. Many of them are calling to say that it’s been too long for us to bill them now and I can kind of see their point. However, I also see that they received a service by a very good dental specialist who deserves to get paid for the work he did. In regards to state law I just want to know where our rights as a practice and dental service provider put us in respect to collecting overdue balance

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of most states in this country the statute of limitations for billing for services or product provided a customer in order to file suit such as services provided by a dentist is four (4) years.

However, from a business standpoint, imagine how a patient feels about getting a first time bill from a particular dentist for services three (3) plus years after the services were provided. It does not make the dentist sending the bill seem like he or she is too astute of a business person paying attention to detail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.