What is the statue of limitations to file a medical claim?

I had gotten sick 4 year ago and found out it was my gall bladder. However, I was admitted to the emergency room and was given a platelet transfusion and underwent outpatient surgery to place a stint in due to a stone was blocking my bilirubin from draining. Somehow I went into a cardiac arrest and my diaphragm was shifted and I received a blood infection and had to be airlifted to another hospital. I was told that the doctor let too much air into my diaphragm but I never received a straight answer as to what happened. I still have my gallbladder and I have to have surgery to have my diaphragm shifted back into place. I’m in NC.

Asked on December 28, 2018 under Malpractice Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, the statute of limitations in NC has expired for filing a medical malpractice claim.
In NC, the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit for negligence (medical malpractice) is three years from the date of injury. You have lost your rights forever in the matter because the statute of limitations has expired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.