What is the simplest way to get divorced?

My wife and I have agreed to a divorce. We have 2 kids. There is nothing to fight about or argue over.

Asked on February 26, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


Barton R. Resnicoff

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Depending upon the age of the children, there will be issues of custody and/or a parenting plan and child support.  Child support must meet certain state standards to be approved by a judge.  If there is any property owned by either one of you, that must also be covered in any agreement.  Once everything is worked out, or ready to be worked out, at least one of you should consult with an attorney to make sure that the agreement will cover what is necessary and be approved by a judge.  There is also the question of paperwork, which is not insubstantial because there are children involved.

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You doing thing amicably can only be a positive thing for you both and for the children.  If you can agree on most everything then you should seek help with formulating an agreement with in the parameters of state law on support and visitation as well as distribution. You should have separate counsel.  The courts and judges love it when people agree.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.