What is the process for working with a probation officer to successfully move from one area within the LA area to another?

On probation for 3 more years following one year house arrest for a white collar crime.Moved from Florida to LA to be closer to kids and grandkids. Moved in with daughter, however, this is no working out well. Have heath issues. Want to move into an apartment and live on my own. Will counsel be helpful to secure the move or will it only agiate the probation officer. Currently have a good relationship.

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

An attorney can help you with this, perhaps.  This sounds to me like the kind of situation where that help comes in the form of advice, an explanation of how to present your own "case," for the idea of moving into your own place in a different neighborhood, to the probation officer, if the facts justify it.  The facts are probably the key; the lawyer can pick out what will help you, and what won't, based on the law and his or her experience with the system.  One place to find an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

That way, you can start the process, as far as your probation officer is concerned, as a fairly simple, "Can I realistically think about this?" question, which won't endanger your relationship -- and you're right to value that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.