What is the process and requirements of emancipation?

I am a 20 year old who is trying to go to college in the fall. My parents are always a few years behind on taxes and though I support myself and claim myself on taxes until I am 24 or married I need their cooperation. So I am looking to emancipate myself but have no idea where to begin. Where do I start? How long will it take? What is required?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you mean you need their cooperstoin as to financing applications and the like, you need to have your family simply not claim you on anything, ask for particular forms from your university which allow you to show you support yourself, are not claimed as a dependant on anyone else's taxes and the like. Emancipation has to do with minors (under 18). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.