What is the penalty for a Section 8 building superintendent who sexually harasses female tenants?

The building super constantly sexually harasses a few of the female tenants, including myself, even going as far as wanting to forcefully grope them. He also threatens them with eviction if they don’t comply with his perverted wishes. Additionally, he refuses to make necessary repairs when something isn’t working right in the building, including the boiler room, knowing that there apartments above it.

Asked on March 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

1) Sexual discrimination or harassment is forbidden in *any* housing, not just Section 8. If you and other women are being victimized in this way, you could report it to the housing authoritities (this is where being section 8 helps; you should have a case worker or other contact at the housing authority) and/or consider bringing  a laws suit. Another option is to contact the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission).

2) A landlord must make repairs that affect habitability--.e.g if there's a boiler problem, and as a result, there's no enough heat or hot water, or there are dangerous fumes, that must be fixed. (Minor or cosmetic problems, like stained carpet or a graffeti, do not need to be fixed.) If the landlord isn't doing this, you could sue for either monetary damages and/or to force the repairs, or again, get in touch with your contacts at the housing authority.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.