What do you have to do to be charged with “chemical endangerment of a child”?

Asked on July 20, 2010 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Endangerment generally is when a person knowingly, and not by accidental means, treats a child under 18 in such as way as to inflict injury or neglects a child in such a way as to adversely affect the child's health or welfare. If it is a child under 6 years of age then it a stronger penalty for the offense.  Tennessee also has a "Aggravated Child Endangerment" statute as well.  Would the chemical be drugs or alcohol?  I would seek legal help from an attorney in your area as soon as you can.  This is a very serious offense and hopefully there is no just cause for same.  Besides criminal charges I am sure that there are custody ramifications as well, meaning the child could be placed in to the care of the State.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.