What is the management company’s responsibility regarding a condo owner refusing to fix damage to someone else’s unit caused by their leaking pipe?

For the third time in 6 months the condo on the second floor has had leaking from their bathroom into our kitchen. The owner does not want to take responsibility for the problem and refuses to fix it properly. The condo management company does not feel they need to be involved even though the our property is being damaged by their negligence time and time again. It is proven to be not only unsanitary as their waste water drips into our kitchen but dangerous because our ceiling lights are shorting out from being wet. What is the responsibility of the management company?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The responsibility of the management company with respect to the damage situation that you have written about where a unit's owner refuses to rectify a problem with his or her unit that is causing damage to another person's property is to do the following:

1. write the HOA about the situation. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and reference.

2. write the individual property owners as well about the situation. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and reference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.