What is the likelihood of facing jail time if convicted of a Class A misdemeanor and it is a first offense?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Most first time Class A misdemeanors result in some type of probation (a regular probation or deferred adjudication) and a fine.  If you spent a couple of nights in jail, sometimes the prosecutor will offer a time-served offer, wherein you get credit for the couple of nights you were in jail and are assessed a fine-- this means you don't have to go back to jai..  A general rule in criminal law is that the less criminal history you have the lighter punishment you will receive.  However, this is a general rule.  If there are aggravating circumstances, you could face mandatory or discretionary jail time.  DWI offenses have sentences that involve minimum mandatory jail sentences as a condition of probation.  Assault family violence cases can cause a prosecutor or jury to recommend jail time if someone was badly hurt.  The only type of case that has a mandatory probation clause are state jail possession of controlled substance cases. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.