What is the liability for a gym if personal items are stolen from lockers they provide?

My gym provides lockers with built in locks and 10 days ago my wallet was stolen while I was working out. The gym didn’t think a police report was necessary but I filed anyway. I then proceeded to cancel all my cards (within the hour they had made several large purchases of gift cards), I figured I was out the cash and $100 Visa gift card I had. Since then I have been leaving my wallet and phone in my car. Last night my car keys were taken and the wallet was stolen from the car. Once again they charged over $8000 within the hour and I also lost around $100 cash. Nothing else was stolen from the car and they left the keys in the vehicle.

Asked on November 7, 2014 under Business Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The gym is not liable: they are not your insurer, and a business is not liable for the criminal acts of either other customers or of its own employees (since stealing and committing crimes is not part of the job description or what they were hired to do). Only the actual thieves any accomplices of theirs, assuming you can identify them, would be liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.