What is the law on squatters?

I am currently living in a home that my blood uncle has connection to. I moved in almost 2 years ago. Shortly after I got in contact with my uncle to discuss my situation with hhim. I was hoping to buy it but was given the runaround. His brother is the executor of the estate because his father is deceased and has been for over 10 years. The property sat vacant for 4 years before I went in. I have been keeping in contact with my uncle over the year who said that he would give me the heads up because they were trying to sell it. Now his brother the executor is contacting me saying I have to leave by the end of this month and that he will get the police and squatters law involved. What am I potentially facing? Can I be arrested? What can be done as finding housing has been difficult for me and I keep running into scams.

Asked on December 17, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

You won't be arrested, but you can be removed from the house by the sheriff etc. You do not own the home and are  not a tenant with a lease; legally, you are considered a guest. A guest may be asked to leave at any time by someone with legal authority over the home (like an executor); if you don't, the executor can file a legal action to get a court order removing you. You simply have no right to remain in a home you neither own nor rent. That you are have g difficulty finding a home is not relevant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.