What is the law for renting a short sale house?

I signed a 6 month lease to rent a house at $1,400 a month. I gave the $1,000 deposit for what was signed which was a 6 months. Less than 2 days later I came to pay the $700 remaining rent to get the keys, this is when my land lord changed out my front page to a month-to-month on top of slipping in a sales notice that she typed up. Less than 4 days latter the landlord came over with her new listing agent. They did the paperwork for the listing at the house. Then 2 days later I had people walking through viewing this house. I need to know what I can do?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written lease agreement signed by the landlord for a six (6) months lease where you never signed any other document placing the lease on a month-to-month lease, then you have a six month lease under the terms of the agreement that you signed. If the home sells during the period of your six (6) month lease, you are entitled to remain in the rental until the term ends assuming you have not breached the lease.

The landlord is also required to give you reasonable notice to enter the rental for sale purposes. 24 hours is deemed usually sufficient notice for entry.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.