What is the first step to removing a felony charge from my record from 13 years ago?

Asked on November 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The first step is to contact a criminal defense attorney to discuss the chances of getting amotion to expunge the prior felony from your record and the costs to do so. Not all petitions for such are granted. The court looks at the conviction, how much time has passed, what the person who was convicted has done with his or her life since the conviction and the reasons for the desired expungement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.