What is the first step to take in lifting a protective order against my boyfriend?

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The first step is to contact the prosecutor that filed and finalized the protective order.  Sometimes, after hearing an update on the case, they will agree to dismiss or file a motion to undue the protective order for you. If that doesn't work, you may have to obtain an attorney to file a motion to dismiss the protective order for you.  Keep in mind, however, that the final decision is with the judge.  Some are very reluctant to drop a protective order because of the general safey of the victim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.