What to do if a real estae transaction has not been paid off in full?

My mother in law in 78 and has begun to show signs of Altziemers. I have been trying to help her go through important paperwork, etc. I discovered that she sold 2 houses 6 years ago but was never paid in full. I then went on-line and discovered that there are businesses being run from one of the properties in her name. Is there a way I can get these properties back for her? What steps should I take. She is living on social security.

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your mother is showing signs that she cannot manage her affairs but is capable of signing a power of attorney naming you as her attorney in fact to take care of her assets (and knows what the power of attorney is), then I suggets that you and your mother consult with an attorney experienced in real estate to possibly draft such an agreement to be signed by your mother before a notary public.

If your mother is capable of signing such a document and names you as her attorney in fact with broad designated powers to manage her business affairs, then you can do what is needed to be done to make sure your mother is paid on those real estate transactions that you have written about and make sure that she is not being taken advantage of.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.