What is the easiest way to have a house transferred from one family member to another?

My grandmother has a house and wants to put
it in my name.

Asked on October 9, 2017 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your grandmother can sign a quitclaim deed which releases her entire right, title and interest in the house to you.
You and your grandmother appear before a notary at which time the quitclaim deed is signed. The quitclaim deed must be signed in the presence of a notary. The quitclaim deed becomes effective when it is recorded (filed with the County Recorder's office).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.