What is the easiest way to transfer felony supervised probation?

I got in trouble for delivery of a controlled substance and I have been on probation for the last 4 months. I want to move from WY to WA for school and a new start. What would be the easiest way to get approved to move?

Asked on August 7, 2011 Wyoming


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Transferring a probation out of state is not easy or automatic. However, if certain conditions are met, a probationer may be allowed to transfer their probation out of state.  First of all, their PO will have to approve.  So you should ask what the state's requirements are for moving and get them in writing. Then show your PO that you have met them.  The stronger the case that you can make for needing this move the better.  For example,in your case you want to pursue your education. that's good start. Yet you'll also want to show that you have a place to live, and a support system (possibly friends or family in the area, etc). Be sure to have proof. This will go a long way in getting your PO's approval for the move. If not, then you'll have to stay where you are in all likelihood. If your PO does not want to give authorization for the transfer you may appeal the decision with the judge who presided over your case. Typically, however, judges rule on the side of the PO. So in order to have the court override your PO decision, you would need to show that such decision places you at an extreme hardship. Finally, you need to be aware that transferring probation from one state to another also requires the agreement of the receiving state.  This means that the state that you want to move to must agree to accept you and put you on probation there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.