What is the consequence of violating reckless driving probation with a drunk in public and destruction of property charge?

My boyfriend was found crashed asleep in the backseat of his car with a BAC of .43 and was charged with reckless driving. He spent 4 days in jail with a 60 day suspended sentence, had his license revoked and had to go to ASAP. This weekend he drunkenly punched and broke a storefront window and was charged with drunk in public and destruction of property, breaking his probation. He had a BAC of .23. Since then, he has called that store to apologize and offered to pay the price of the damage and is attended AA again. What are the maximum and minimum consequences of these offenses?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Criminal Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If convicted of the two separate criminal maters, your boyfriend stands to receive up to six months in jail and fines exceeding four thousand dollars ($4,000). He will be ordered to attend alcohol and anger management clasees, public service work and if he is released early from jail, probation.

From what you have written, he needs a good criminal defense attorney and a therapist due to his perceived alcohol problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.