What is the best way to get wages from an employer that refuses to pay?

I work as a nanny and my most current family is refusing to pay wages. I worked for them for two weeks for a total of 108 hours and was promised $15 per hour in the interview and on care.com where I met them. At the end of the 2 week period i was only paid $450. I then told my employer that i would not be returning to work and she canceled the check and refuses to pay me anything. I do have text messages and the canceled check along with their online profile stating wage but have no paper proof of hours worked. Is this case worth taking to court?

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You have two options to get the wages that you were promised and which you earned. They are make a complaint with your local department of labor about the wages that your employer failed to pay you.

The other option is to file a small claims court action against those that owe you unpaid wages. As to being worth taking this dispute to court, it all depends upon how strong you feel about it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.