What is the best way to get a credit card company to remove my name from outstanding debt if it was part of our final divorce settlement?

Asked on June 4, 2012 under Family Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First, you need to understand that the debt that you are writing about is a marital debt and under the laws of all state sin this country, such debt does not have to be removed by the creditor on its accounts receivable even if there is a court order stating that your "ex" is responsible for it and not you.

The creditor is not affected by your marital dissolution decree. The best way to get this debt removed from the creditor's accounts receivable is to have your "ex" pay it off in full or reach some other agreement where the debt is deemed paid in full.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.