What is the best way for me to proceed in getting my ex husband to comply with a court order in a divorce decree to sell or refinance the mortgage on the marital home?

He was ordered by the court to refinance or sell within 6 months of the divorce. It has been 4 1/2 years and he refuses. We were summoned by the court for his failure of payment on the mortgage and he applied for some type of help but never removed my name and still has not made any mortgage payments. Debt collectors are calling me and my credit has been greatly affected. What are my options?

Asked on October 16, 2017 under Family Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to pursue contempt of court against your ex.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause for a hearing on this issue.  Before filing your Order to Show Cause, call the court clerk to request a hearing date.  Include the date/time/department of the hearing on the Order to Show Cause.  With the Order to Show Cause, also file with the court your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your contempt of court claim. You should also file any additional documents, items, etc. as supporting evidence of your contempt of court claim.  Also, file a Proof of Service (court form).  After filing your documents with the court, mail a copy of those documents to your ex with the proof of service, so that your ex will have notice of the hearing.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if any other documents are required for contempt of court because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.