What is the best route to beatan underage consumption charge?

I received an underage consumption. I didn’t blow, refused to give them any info that wasn’t on my license, and didn’t sign the ticket. They then let me go back into public. I was holding a beer in a bar at the time of the arrest. Is there a route to take this in order to avoid getting the ticket, particularly without having to hire a lawyer due to financial issues?

Asked on November 26, 2011 under Criminal Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Since you refused to sign the ticket given you by law enforcement for underage consumption of alcohol, most likely the court will take a harder approach with you as opposed to some other person who was cooperative when receiving a citation for a similar matter. There is no route that you can do to avoid getting the ticket in the mail with the court date.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about your situation when you get your hearing date in the mail as a means of trying to resolve this matter in an efficient manner. My sentiment is that an experienced criminal defense attorney would be better suited in representing you as to the charge against you rather than you representing yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.