Whatareour rights if the landlord let a new tenant move in beforeourlease was up andwe’ve paid the rent for the month?

We are still on the lease until the end of the month. The landlord let the new tenants move in a couple days early. We are still on the lease and they haven’t signed their lease yet. What can we do?

Asked on October 29, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Legally, the landlord cannot give anyone else possession of the premises so long as you have possession. It doesn't matter if you have moved out:  if your term of possession is not up (still on lease until end of month; paid rent for the month), it's still your apartment, not the new tenants. You may be able to sue the landlord to recover the pro rata share of your rent (i.e. the rent for the time the new tenants have been in). Depending on the amount of money that would come to, it may not be worthwhile, in terms of cost or effort to do so, but that's a different story. If more time was involved and you wanted possession of the apartment for some reason, you could also seek a court order getting the new tenants out while it's still your lease term, though it's impossible to see that as worthwhile under the circumstances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.