what is my rights if my insurance company refuses to pay the damage to my vehicle that has been totaled

I had full coverage insurance with the insurance company, but I was driving for
lyft at the time of the accident and because I was driving for lyft they told me
they was not going to cover the loss of the vehicle. lyft however was going to
cover the loss but they won’t because I was not driving the vehicle that was on
my profile they was not going to cover the loss either.is their anyway to have my
insurance cover the loss because I’m not covered by lyft? do I have any hope at

Asked on May 5, 2016 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you did not have commercial car or driver's insurance, only the "usual" insurance we all get for our own personal driving, then you breached the terms of your insurance policy: you were not using the car in the way or for the purposes that you told the insurer when you got the policy. That breach entitles them to not honor your claim. Unfortuantely, if you start driving as a job (or second job) or commercially, you have to let your insurer know and get the appropriate insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.