What is my remedy if my ex-business partner has stopped making payments on our buyout agreement?

He stopped paying 3 weeks ago and I know that he has $50,00-$70,000 coming in monthly. My payment is $6500 monthly. I don’t think he thinks I can do anything but we have a legal buyout agreement that our former lawyers drew up. Can I ask the court to freeze the bank accounts until I get paid or something similar?

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Business Law, Florida


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Not until you obtain a judgment against him.  Your attorney must bring a lawsuit to enforce your buyout agreement. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.