What is my recourse if the electrician I hired didn’t complete the job he said he did and stole the GFI switches I provided and installed cheaper outlets?

Also, he smelled like “pot” when he was here. He was supposedly licensed and bonded and I’ve talked to him about what still doesn’t work, but had to hire someone else to come out.

Asked on March 13, 2015 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) You can sue him for greater of the difference in value between the switches you provided and the lesser ones he used, or the cost to have someone else redo the work properly.

2) Theft is a crime; you can also report him to the police for the stolen switches--and, of course, for the drugs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.