What can I do to change all of my documentation to my legal name?

When my parents became citizens, so did I since, I was a legal green card holder and a minor. However somewhere during the process of becoming a citizen, my parents thought it would be a good idea to change the spelling of my name. Now, my certificate of citizenship, and my passport which I had applied for using my certificate of citizenship, have my name spelled slightly differently. My school however, uses my birth certificate and social security card to identify me. How do I go about transitioning to my new name if possible or how do I fix my citizenship papers if that is easier?

Asked on February 2, 2016 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your new "official" name is the one that appears on your certificate of naturalization and passport.  If you want to now change it on all the other documents, simply do that with each agency or organization, by showing your passport and certificate of natz.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.