What is going to happen if I’ve filed 4 harassment claims against my company and I was sent home on paid

administrative leave?

They keep pushing me to the back burner. It’s still under its 4th investigation. What do I do?

Asked on May 6, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Harassment against you for what? If it was against you due to a protected characteristic--that is, you were being harassed due to your race, national origin, color, religion, disability, sex, age over 40 (under both federal and state law), or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or marital status (state law only)--then this was likely illegal employment discrimination, and you could file a complaint with the federal EEOC and/or your state's Department of Fair Employment and Housing, as applicable. The law does not allow an employee to be harassed for these reasons.
But if you are being harassed for other reasons--personal dislike by other employees or a supervisor; your politics; how you dress or taste in music or your tatoos (or body art or piercings), etc.; that is, *anything but* the protected categories set out above--there is nothing you can do. Except as specifically protected by law, you *can* be harassed at work; and since you can be harassed at work for any non-protected reason, your employer is allowed to take action against you for filing complaints or claims.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.