What is ethical behavior for an executor and what are the responsibilities of a power-of-attorney?

My brother is executor of my father and mother’s wills while he and I are joint beneficiaries but not the only siblings. My father is deceased but my mother alive so she is the sole inheritor so far. Both my brother and I have a power-of-attorney for my mother. I fear my brother is “playing games” for his own benefit with my mother’s money but then he always did and he’s the one they picked. I’m not interested in inheritance, only my legal liability as POA if my brother’s behavior is unethical. Do I need to get a lawyer and describe his behavior in detail to protect myself?

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Estate Planning, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As to your mother's current assets on hand, since you and your brother share a joint power of attorney as to her, both of you owe a fiduciary duty to your mother to disclose all with respect to her finances and her interests when asked in a prompt manner. Same goes as to each other as to your mother's interests.

As to your brother being the executor of your father's Will, he has the same fiduciary duty of full and prompt disclosure to all beneficiaries as to your father's estate. Given your concerns as to your brother, you might consult with a Wills and trust attorney to seek an accounting from your brother as to your mother and your father's estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.