What is considered false advertisement?

I, along with about 15 other women, were chosen as brand ambassadors to promote a new athletic apparel company. We received the clothing in the mail but it was from multiple different clothing companies, not the company that we ordered from. The clothing can be found 10 depending on the product cheaper on the corresponding websites. They won’t reply to any of our emails or issue

refunds to anyone who has asked. I guess I’m curious if this is something that could be pursued because we were all under the impression that we were getting this brand instead of being way overcharged for the other brands we received.

Asked on March 6, 2018 under Estate Planning, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

What you described sounds like a case of consummer fraud: making a material misrepresentation (lie) to consumers to get them to purchase goods or services. This is something which you could sue over, if it were economically worthwhile; or contact your state's Attorney General's office about filing a complaint, which *may* result in action and restitution. Here is a link you may find helpful: https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/cpd/consumer-protection

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.